Some musings from my side on Lifelogging (storing and sharing all your life experiences digitally; all you see, hear, read, share, say etc.). Kevin Kelly and this post from Fast Company inspired me in this respect. People who are interested in reading more on this topic might look at the Metaverse Roadmap Report coming out this week.
My 2 cents why lifelogging will be on the rise:
- It is a logical extension of current trends like location based services (Plazes), social networking (MySpace), blogs (Typepad), RSS feeds, co-presence/microblogging (Twitter and Jaiku) and live webcasting (UStream and Justin.tv)
- It relates to software-based, bottom-up, automatically text-based, speech-based and video-based indexing solutions like Autonomy, Nuance and Blinkx respectively enabling the value and searchability of lifelogging
- Convergence of lifelogging and Augmented Reality applications like Steve Mann/MIT uses
- Convergence of lifelogging and virtual worlds like Second Life
- Convergence of lifelogging and the increasing importance of Transformation
- Convergence of lifelogging with the Semantic Web (Radar Networks and Metaweb). More structured, targeted and relevant RSS feeds will be integrated into our lifestreams
- It feeds on the popular movies called Being John Malkovich ("subscribe to a friend" in an extreme way) and Truman Show
- It relates strongly to the key emerging themes Identity, Creativity/Innovation and Authenticity. More in my previous, elaborate post on the interrelationships between these three concepts and how it fits with lifelogging. Lifelogging will only deepen the saliency and importance of these three concepts in the future and these concepts will feed the adoption of lifelogging. It is an interactive , self reinforcing relationship in my view.
In my view lifelogging will have a huge impact on the evolution of eMarketing and digital advertising. Why ? Because this will result on User Owned Data, the User will be the one in controlk permanently of their lifelogging data. This data is the most valuable marketing resource as it is complete, socially networked, actual, behavorial, contextual, personalized and deep. Access to this lifestream of users/customers will be rewarded, both in monetary and non-monetary ways. Attention, permission, trust and collective intelligence will be key themes in eMarketing going forward.
So what do you expect of lifelogging ? Will it become mainstream ? Why (not) ? When ?
Do you see other trends merging with the lifelogging trend ? Which ones ? What will be the impact on eMarketing or digital advertising ?