Ok, this is highly speculative but here goes anyway.... looking forward to your comments ! It is about three key concepts (parallellism, evolution and antropocentrism) and its impact on digital media.
- Parallellism: existence of parallel universes, quantum mechanics (possibilities) and dreams. We seem to live multiple lives and in multiple environments.
- Evolution: evolution of evolution (even the speed of light constant itself changes over time), evolutionary/expanding universe, evolutionary timescale/geology/tectonic plates, evolution of species and Gods Delusion. Static solutions, explanations, values and theories give way to dynamic versions. All is in flux.
- Antropocentrism: Ptolemeus -> Copernicus (earth-centric became sun-centric view of solar system); evolution of species (we are similar to the apes); dark matter and energy unknown -> we consist of only 5% of the known matter of the universe and extra terrestial intelligence probably exists (Drake's equation). All this implies that increasingly humans are not (!) the center of the universe.
How does this all relate to ICT and digital media ?
- Serious Gaming (parallel strategic gaming and thinking before implementing IRL)
- 3D Worlds like Second Life (parallel worlds and identities)
- Augmented and Mixed Reality (combining physical and digital experiences)
- Hardware, software, services, content and connectivity increasingly become hackable, remixable, reconfigurable, open, dynamic and evolutionary. E.g., Amazon with web scale computing
- Evolutionary blog posts, articles ; they become conversations, open ended, self correcting and organic documents
- Bots, AI and machine (besides human) learning within Semantic Web (Web 3.0)
- The internet of things (pervasive or ubiquitous computing)